The Passeggiata public gardens are an open air museum. An archeological and botanical museum. The cathedral apse, the church of the Madonna di Carmine, and above all the Roman amphitheatre belong to the garden area. Moreover, permanently located there, in line with a somewhat questionable practice, damaged capitals and pilasters and other finds coming from the demolished San Giovanni Decollato church which looked out onto piazza Maggiore, have been re-used as decorative elements, but also as stands for concrete benches, tables, seats, vases and columns. Two sphinxes are particularly interesting, one of which which was disfigured to make a water fountain. (A painting of the artist Orneore Metelli, exhibited in the De Felice Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art - CAOS - CENTRO ARTI OPIFICIO SIRI, gives back the original position of the two sphinxes).
Not to be forgotten are the city walls which border the gardens on the west and south sides, the latter being still today the best conserved of the ancient barrier of protection against enemies built in Roman times. In the same district, on the outside with respect to the Passeggiata, instruments in bone flint attributable to the paleolithic period have been found, as well as ceramic fragments. The medieval Jewish cemetery was also located there; a tablet has recently been laid there as a memorial, which was thought to be rather vast considering the times, ten times the size of that of Perugia and twice that of Pisa. It was used until the extinction of the Jewish colony in medieval Terni, which occured during the XV century. Interesting, but badly kept, is the botanical heritage which counts essences such as lindens, oaks and pine trees as well as the cedars of Lebanon and the Himalayas, the hackleberry the flowering ash and the loppi. Trees which very often are more than a hundred years old. The Passeggiata public gardens was at first a green area made available to the bishopric and which reached from the cathedral apse as far as the city walls.
In 1846 the vast parcel of land, in a state of complete abandonment, was bought by the Historical events led it to become property of the French state which later sold it to a private citizen Municipal to make it available to the community. In 1890 Domenico Giannelli undertook its modernization and restructuring. The finds which came from the church of San Giovanni Decollato arrived in 1921 when the temple was demolished to make way for the Post Office building.