Realised at long last the reclamation of the stagnant waters of what was once the great Velino lake, lake Piediluco was born. A stretch of water of reduced dimensions (just over a 1.5 square kilometres in size) nestled amidst the green and surrounded by ancient hills.
An unhealthy area in ancient times, however, it was a place of different human settlements proved by archeological finds.
In pre- romanic times Luco was considered a sacred wood, the most important among similar places that sprung up on the outskirts of the marshland. Rites and meetings were held there, and the territory was administered there by the priests of those rites, called Luconi. The inhabitants of the place, who were concentrated towards the top of the mountain around the year 1000, had a fortress to protect them.
The Fortress or the castle of Piediluco had been built at least a century before, and was part of the fief of the Arroni. In 1300 however, it exists as part of the Brancaleoni fief. It was in the Xlll century, however, that those who were to become "Piedilucani" began to move from the top of the mountain to beside the lake, which began to develop in the same period. It was Brancaleone who wanted to build the church of San Francesco towards the end of the Xlllth century in the village centre, a village where fishing was the main occupation, soars the church which rises at the crown of a large staircase and when the water rose, used to be partly submerged. It has undergone various and different reconstructions during the centuries: for instance the adjacent convent has been abolished, and in some records the external stairway, along the entire facade, had twenty steps while now there are only sixteen. More successful the intervention on the church portal, which is the work of the sculptor Pier Damiano di Assisi, who depicted the tools used by fishermen and the types of fish that populated the lake at that time.
With the downfall of the Brancaleonis, the Castle and fief passed on to Blasco Fernandez, nephew of Cardinal Albornoz, but several lordships exercised power over Piediluco including the Castellis and and Trincis.
More recently, Piediluco was an autonomous municipality until 1927 when it was incorporated into the territory of Terni, becoming a hamlet. Today it is a tourist spot, but also an important mainstay in rowing sports. Lake Piediluco is, in fact, a centre of Federazione Canotaggio (Canoeing Federation) and venue for important international competitions.