Things to see

Filter by Category

Church of Sant’Antonio
[Religious buildings]

  • In the period in which industrialisation was almost completed- at least one part- the city found itself spontaneously expanding towards the east. The houses of the working class sprung up there, a few new factories had been built there, such as Bosco and la Carburo di Calcio, the latter had to then build a plant far from the city centre (it moved to Papigno) due to its emissions which provoked a number of complaints from those living in the neighbourhood. As well as a wide, new road that led to the train station, via Curio Dentato, a new, large church dedicated to Sant'Antonio was requested. In Sant'Antonio church, the designer Cesare Bazzani, one of the architectural names that " marked" Terni, gives vent to his classical setting, to the point of filling the facade of a modern church like Sant'Antonio with references to mannerisms. Sant'Antonio, the most classical of Tern's churches, was built between 1923 and 1935, exactly opposite the villa of the industrialist Bosco, another of Bazzani's projects. who, in the same neighbourhood, also "signed" the Regio istituto tecnico industriale (Technical high school for Industry). It was the new part of the town which was emerging just after the war. The church was built close to the medieval city wall which underwent further chagrin, and just a few steps away from Porta Spoletina, which was one of the most important in Terni.The use of "gigantism" is not lacking in the church of Sant'Antonio either, of its shapes and arches, with the vast outside stairway, and the large central portal included inside an archway, which virtually marks the entire facade.
    Read More

Fausto Amphitheatre
[Sites of historical and archaeological interest]

  • The Fausto Amphitheatre is the testimony of the importance and the wealth that blessed Terni in Roman times, when its name was Interamna Nahars. An oval structure of huge dimension (97.5 metres long the main axis and 73 metres the other), five concentric circles which were made in masonry, originally two-storied, which could hold a large number of spectators, around ten thousand. A work in masonry, made mostly with sponge stone, the stone mostly cut from the cliffs of Marmore waterfalls. The external perimeter preserves coloured fragments of opus reticulatum realized with local stones. On the ruins the copy of an inscription, wanted by a member of a college that took care of the imperial worship, Fausto Tito Liberale, (from here the name of the Amphitheatre) permits to calculate precisely the date of foundation of the city, I mean in 672 BC. The original inscription is today visible inside the Archaeological Museum - CAOS - CENTRO ARTI OPIFICIO SIRI. The importance of the structure, and reflexively of the city, is set also by the memory of the entertainment held there. The historian Francesco Angeloni reported that" gladiator shows" and fights between gladiators and "great fairs" took place in the Amphitheatre. In the period of decadence, the amphitheatre became a quarry for the construction of other buildings until it became part of the Bishopric vegetable garden. More recently, it has returned to its original function of place of entertainment, after having been the perfect place for the oratory football pitch. The Municipal performed renovation works after repossession and today it is dedicated to theatre performances and concerts.
    Read More

Passeggiata public gardens
[Sites of historical and archaeological interest]

  • The Passeggiata public gardens are an open air museum. An archeological and botanical museum. The cathedral apse, the church of the Madonna di Carmine, and above all the Roman amphitheatre belong to the garden area. Moreover, permanently located there, in line with a somewhat questionable practice, damaged capitals and pilasters and other finds coming from the demolished San Giovanni Decollato church which looked out onto piazza Maggiore, have been re-used as decorative elements, but also as stands for concrete benches, tables, seats, vases and columns. Two sphinxes are particularly interesting, one of which which was disfigured to make a water fountain. (A painting of the artist Orneore Metelli, exhibited in the De Felice Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art - CAOS - CENTRO ARTI OPIFICIO SIRI, gives back the original position of the two sphinxes). Not to be forgotten are the city walls which border the gardens on the west and south sides, the latter being still today the best conserved of the ancient barrier of protection against enemies built in Roman times. In the same district, on the outside with respect to the Passeggiata, instruments in bone flint attributable to the paleolithic period have been found, as well as ceramic fragments. The medieval Jewish cemetery was also located there; a tablet has recently been laid there as a memorial, which was thought to be rather vast considering the times, ten times the size of that of Perugia and twice that of Pisa. It was used until the extinction of the Jewish colony in medieval Terni, which occured during the XV century. Interesting, but badly kept, is the botanical heritage which counts essences such as lindens, oaks and pine trees as well as the cedars of Lebanon and the Himalayas, the hackleberry the flowering ash and the loppi. Trees which very often are more than a hundred years old. The Passeggiata public gardens was at first a green area made available to the bishopric and which reached from the cathedral apse as far as the city walls. In 1846 the vast parcel of land, in a state of complete abandonment, was bought by the Historical events led it to become property of the French state which later sold it to a private citizen Municipal to make it available to the community. In 1890 Domenico Giannelli undertook its modernization and restructuring. The finds which came from the church of San Giovanni Decollato arrived in 1921 when the temple was demolished to make way for the Post Office building.
    Read More

Barbarasa tower
[Sites of historical and archaeological interest]

  • About three hundred towers had been built in the city but by around 1600 very few were still standing. The best preserved, both then and now, is the Barbarasa tower. The Barbarasa family were one of the most prominent in Terni in the 15th and 16th centuries and counted among its members priors, general councillors and local notables, in syntheses city administrators, as well as a canon of the Cathedral, Giulio Barbarasa.. A powerful family, therefore, especially from a financial point of view, so that the house-tower they built (even if the first structures date back to the 13th century) was meant to be representative of this power. The Tower, considered to be a construction built to defend the city, was without doubt a "watchtower" to defend the Barbarasa property, which bordered that of the Spada family. In the town history the Barbarasa tower is remembered above all for an incident linked to the plague epidemic which struck Terni towards the end of the 17th century. On hearing the news about the plague epidemic in the centre-south of Italy, the city council decided to put soldiers at the city gates to prevent strangers from entering. In the meantime in the Cathedral and San Valentino the religious ceremonies continued. A lazaret was opened in the convent of the Grazie, therefore outside the city, to give shelter to those who came from the suspected areas. The inns and other convivial places were closed; a ban was put in place for tramps and beggars to stop them from moving from place to place. Part of the city wall was also rebuilt, in the porta Romana area, which had collapsed due to neglect. But the preventive measures were to no avail. The first cases of bubonic plague were registered at the beginning of the summer of 1656 in the Cathedral district. A year later, in June 1657, the bishop, Sebastiano Gentili, seeing as the situation was still serious, organized a large procession through the city streets and, at the end, climbed to the top of the Barbarasa tower, the tallest building in Terni, carrying with him the relic of Precious blood. From there he prayed for divine protection and blessed the city. All this is remembered on a plaque set half-way up the tower, on the initiative of the owner of the tower at that time, Felix Barbarasa. The tower is still inhabited today.
    Read More

Dionisia tower
[Sites of historical and archaeological interest]

  • Johannucci or Di Giovannuccio was his original surname, but then, thanks to his role of primary importance that Andrea Di Giovanuccio assumed in the second half of the 14th century in Terni and in the checkerboard of Italian free townships, next to Johannucci appeared the name "De Castello". Therefore, one of the most illustrious families of Terni's medieval history was born, the Castelli family. Laying aside the Johannucio part, as a powerful, and then noble family, as well as wealthy, the Castellis built an agglomerate of houses with courtyards near San Lorenzo church, which today is in practice the front part of a tall tower, the Castelli tower, Dionisia tower which preserves only its medieval origins as it was reshaped in the 16th century. Destroyed by bombs the building next to the Castelli residence, only the buildings on the right side of via De Filis remain, these, too, rehashed and restructured several times, and a structure opposite the tower where stood another tower: only the ruins of the base remain, close to the arch, originally an underpass which served as entrance to the Castelli complex, which as the times suggest, was fortified. On the other hand, the Castelli family played a role of primary importance in a period of unrest for the city's history, at the dawn of the 15 th century. A family of Ghibellines, on the front line in public debate especially with the most determined and able of its representatives, namely Andrea Castelli who went to war and fought with landlords and soldiers of fortune at the service and on behalf of the Pope. The Castelli family's luck lasted up to 1410 and with theirs that of the Ghibellines who lost primacy with the rescission of the agreement between the two most representative families, the Castellis- to be precise- and the Camporealis. It was, however, Braccio da Montone, a few years later, who determined the end of the Castelli family: the family was physically wiped out. It ended in tragedy, to be sure, but nothing else is known so the subsequent destiny of a family which had reached the height of citizen power remains shrouded in mystery.
    Read More

Porta Sant’Angelo
[Sites of historical and archaeological interest]

  • Porta Sant' Angelo, the western gate of the medieval city, is so called because a church dedicated to Sant'Angelo was situated closeby before it was demolished in 1600. There was also a hospital nearby, of which no trace remains, like the church, as can be perceived from a law contained in the "Statum Interamnae", which ruled that all those passing through porta San Angelo carrying firewood, had to leave a part to the hospital of "Santo Angelo", paying in this way a sort of tax which acquired the value of solidarity. It seems somewhat strange in this day and age that a gate was built to be used as a bridge, and that along a country lane below the level of the road, an old mill can be found. In fact, there is no corresponding stream. However, up to the 16th century, all around the western wall of Terni flowed the Serra creek, whose course was later deviated Into the river Nera, of which it was a tributary. In olden times, the Serra flowed into the main river, downstream of the city, which was therefore enclosed by the two rivers and precisely for this reason this orographic configuration took the name Interamna. Interamna, which for those who see Terni today is not easily explained but which has a precise origin. After the deviation of the creek, which today flows into the Nera east of the residential area, Porta Sant'Angelo no longer acted as a bridge and the mill remained without water. From Porta Sant'Angelo to the city centre there was access to a fountain which served all the neighbourhood inside the walls, and which was made up of the west side of the two Rugoni and Amengoni districts. Walking along the road, it was possible to reach the church and convent of Madonna del Monumento, where the cemetery of Terni was realised and which, as defined by law, had to be built far from the town. After restoration work performed towards the end of the last century, porta Sant Angelo was incorporated into a new square and under it, also using the vestiges of the old oil mill, botanical gardens were planted, which at present are in a state of abandonment. The castle walls which ran from porta Sant Angelo to encircle the passeggiata public gardens, were demolished at the beginning of the 1900s, except for a short stretch now incorporated in an underground car park.
    Read More

Porta Spoletina
[Sites of historical and archaeological interest]

  • Through Porta Spoletina, the consular Flaminia road leading out of Terni, which it crossed in a south-west north-east direction, continued towards the Somma mountain and, therefore, Spoleto. It was one of the main gates to the city, built during the expansion of the city walls during the medieval period. A stronghold, it is also called the Gate of the Three Monuments in memory of the cenotaphs, that a widespread popular tradition ascribes to Tacitus: the historic Cornelius and the emperors Marco Claudio and Floriano Tacito. Not far from the Gate the remains of a great Arch of Triumph was found, which seems to have been dedicated to the emperor Domiziano, but all the existing vestiges just outside the city walls were permanently lost during the construction of the Bosco mechanical industry during the early years of the 20th century and whose workshops have recently been reclaimed and reused as the Terni Videocentre (after the relocation of the factory to the industrial area during the 1980s. Just a short distance from the arch of Porta Spoletina, within the city walls, stands an ancient mill, one of the many oil millstones fed by one of the canals belonging to an extended network around the city. Just along the road from the gate, along the Flaminia stood the church dedicated to the Madonna della Misericordia: Pope Clemente Vll stopped there to say orations while he was travelling to Ferrara, leaving 100 scudi for charity. On the opposite hill stood the church of Santa Giusta and, further up,the Hermitage called "Vecchia" occupied by cappuccino monks. Above them all stood the parish church of San Bartolomeo, followed, along the edge of the mountain going towards the Somma, by the church of the Concezione and that of San Zenone, which is to be found not far from the Fortress of the same name. Being the first rampart for invading foreign armies marching along the Flaminia towards Rome, Porta Spoletina was continuously under attack. One of the most disastrous for the gate structure was the one by Braccio da Montone's army, who, at the beginning of the 1400s, burnt the gate down and, notwithstanding the citizens of Terni, stole the big iron chain as a war trophy.
    Read More

Archaeological site of Carsulae
[Sites of historical and archaeological interest]

  • Carsulae was probably born with the consular Flaminia road which runs through it from one side to the other. Or it was founded from scratch or sprung up from the agglomeration of the populations pre-existing in the area of whom evidence remains, especially on Mount Sant'Erasmo. What is certain is that during the period of the Roman Empire it was a great city, as can be seen from the richness of epigraphs, the size of public buildings, the forum, the amphitheatre, the theater, the thermal bath, the great arch of St. Damiano which marked the north exit. Most of the remains have still to be brought to light, even if the excavations in Carsulae had already begun in the 17th century. The cause of the rapid decline of the city is unknown. These hypotheses cannot be discarded: from the instability of the land, because of the sinkhole in the western part of the city, to the bloody destruction by some army or other. A city surrounded in a shroud of mystery, above all for its sudden end: it reached the peak of its splendour in the lst and 2nd centuries B.C. but already in the 3rd century there were few records which referred to Carsulae, which stopped being mentioned in the 4th century. The issues behind such a sudden end have given rise to much speculation, also relatively to the role played by this city, which acquired wealth and importancewith Christian penetration in Umbria, but immediately after, fell irredeemably. A transit centre, which acquired large spas, a basilica, a monumental forum; dedicated a vast area to leisure activities, built an amphitheatre with a main axis of nearly ninety metres, and a theatre; and in the forum zone built two twin temples, "I Gemini", a presence which gave vent to fascinating theories, although they appear far-fetched, in which Carsulae was once an important Celtic religious centre, the reason why it was damned to disappearance by the overtaking Christian religion. In the middle ages, the church of San Damiano was built on preexisting Roman structures, what remains of two convents, also destroyed, whose vestiges followed those of Carsulae, becoming a quarry of square-shaped stones reused for new buildings in the surrounding areas and for Palazzo Cesi in Acquasparta. The “U. Ciotti” Visiting and Documentation Centre is the exhibition inside the area that hosts a selection of finds referring to the daily life culture and of the artistic production: ceramics, glasses, lamps, marble sculptures (the portrait of the emperor Claudio and the statue of Dyonisus), sarcofagi made by lead and by local stones, architectural terracotta.
    Read More

Ponte del Toro
[Sites of historical and archaeological interest]

  • Its name is Ponte del Toro because it has always been thought that the archway a few feet away from Marmore Waterfall was the ruins of a much larger structure, to be precise, a bridge built in Roman era. Instead, even though the building technique is the same as that of Roman bridges, it is a structure used for hydraulic regimentation, This was ascertained during recent restoration works and the rediscovery of a manufact that had been covered by dirt and brambles for years. It had been identified at the beginning of the 19th century during the construction of the intake structure of one of the many canals that took water to Terni. In the same area, on the opposite side with regards to the river Nera, a prehistoric settlement came to light. It was possible to better understand what the real function of the structure was after a search for the missing parts and a long-awaited study carried out on, it is not wide enough to be compatible with a road and, furthermore, the upstream side ends against the rock outcrop. It remains, however, a monumental construction, built with large blocks of sponge stone, the same stone that obstructed, partially but consistently, the light of the arch. Sponge stone is a travertine that forms rapidly through the calcification of leaves and organic debris. According to some theories, the structure regulated the flow of the Nera and the lake that had formed upstream consequent to the realisation of Marmore Waterfall, but there is no record of the existence of that lake at the time Ponte del Toro was built, round about the time Christ was born. The present day accredited hypothesis is, therefore, that it was used to contain and regulate the flow of the waters from the Marmore plateau ( and in a period prior to the realisation of that stupendous hydraulic work, the Waterfall) precipitated into the river Nera running along a natural canyon along the steep side of the mountain overhanging the valley. A canyon that can still be seen among all the vegetation, on the left side of Ponte del Toro ( the right side for who is standing in front of it) and points down to the spot where the work was built.
    Read More

Municipal library
[Sites of cultural interest]

  • For years it was the building of the power, today it hosts the multimedia library of Terni, location of cultural events as well as collections of books and multimediasupports. The building was erected at the beginning of the 14th century on the main square of the city, the Platea Columnarum, renamed in later years piazza Maggiore. The meeting place, the agora, where the corn column stands, is still today the focal point of the city's political-administrative life. The Palazzo, through the stones hung on the facade as well as on the inside, tell by themseves a large part of the city's history dating from its becoming a town hall. It goes from the celebration of King Vittorio Emanuele to that of Giuseppe Garibaldi; to the commemoration of illustrious men, painful or triumphant events that have involved the city. In 1293 the Municipal if Terni built the structure which they decided to award to the Governor, using the structures of pre-existing houses specifically bought for this purpose. A typical 14th century building, of mighty structures, of which only a few remain in the ex XX September hall, today "Caffe' letterario" of the Library. The original structure has undergone various rearrangements and renovations which had already began in the 15th century and dictated by the need to adapt the building to the changing requirements during the course of centuries. After the Governor, it hosted the Mayor, and subsequently the representatives of papal power, in whose relevance it has remained, also accommodating the prison in its basement, up to 1872, when it underwent a profound makeover and became the Town Hall, which remained there until the middle of the 1970s. Also the main entrance of the building became not the one already leading on to the main square, but the one on the opposite side, which opens onto the present day piazza Solferino. With the advent of the Regno d'Italia, the building passed on to the municipal power, a return to its origins, in some way. It then became the seat of the mayor, then of the podesta' during the fascist epoch, and then municipal offices during the republican era. Up to the middle of the 1970s when the town hall was relocated and the building was once again subjected to rehash due to the damage caused during the second world war, became the city library. The most recent rearrangement took place in the 1980s, when the tower, which had been a classic bell-tower adorned with battlements, was also rebuilt. Destroyed during the second world war, it was replaced with a stylized representation of Marmore Waterfalls.
    Read More
bannerPopup

Timetables July

Opening of
the Area
Opening of
the Water
Working days 10.00am-10.00pm from 11.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 6.00pm
from 9.00pm to 10.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 9.00am - 10.00pm from 10.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 7.00pm
from 9.00pm to 10.00pm

Choose your guided tour

July 2018
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19

Belvedere Inferiore
P.le F. Fatati 6
Terni

Belvedere Superiore
Voc. Cascata 30
Terni

Tel. 0744 62982
Fax 0744 362231
actl alis sistema museo civita adb