The Church of Sant’Antonio di Padova was built as a place of worship in the new workers’ district born between the old town and the railway station after the population’s growth, and the massive industrialization of the late 19thcentury. The project of the new Church, the first built in modern times in Terni, was assigned to the architect Cesare Bazzani and works began in 1924 and ended in 1935. The building was badly damaged by the bombing during World War II, because of its proximity to the railway station. After these events it was restored and completed in the 1960s. The Church architecture follows a classical model and it is entirely made of bricks, it is a large basilica with three naves, and has got a 16th-century style monumental front. In 2010 the Church was elevated into a Diocesan Shrine of the Franciscan Protomartyrs, the first followers of San Francesco. All of them came from the surroundings of Terni and were martyred in Morocco, therefore inspiring Sant’Antonio’s calling.