Archaeological site of Carsulae

The city of Carsulae was probably born around the end of the III century BC, with the conclusion of the romanization process of Umbria, followed by the construction of the western via Flaminia 220 BC.

The Republican period is still the less known, as the city received an impressive monumentalization in the Augustan age, which gave it the role that we can still appreciate today and which overlap the oldest phase.

The city had a very flourishing period for most of the imperial era, as inform us the Epigraphic Heritage available, until the beginning of the IV century AD. From that moment begins a slow decline that will culminate with the abandonment of the center, in the early V century AD, as now well proved by the latest excavations.

The reason lies in the absence of a wall circuit and in the poor defensibility of the site at a time when Rome could no longer guarantee the security of any kind.

At the moment only a small part has been excavated, most of it by Umberto Ciotti, between 1951 and 1972.

To Umberto Ciotti is named the Visit and Documentation Center, which houses the ticket office and a selection of finds found during the excavation campaigns made by him.

Photo

bannerPopup

Timetables October

Opening of
the Area
Opening of
the Water
Working days 10.00am - 6.00pm only on FRIDAY
from 12.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 4.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 10.00am - 8.00pm from 11.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 6.00pm
Holidays and Specials:
4/10
9.00am - 8.00pm from 11.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 6.00pm

Choose your guided tour

October 2018
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun

Belvedere Inferiore
P.le F. Fatati 6
Terni

Belvedere Superiore
Voc. Cascata 30
Terni

Tel. 0744 62982
Fax 0744 362231
actl alis sistema museo civita adb