The Diocesan and Capitular Museum of Terni is housed in the Palazzo del Seminario Interamnense, adjacent to the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, and was built in 1653 on the initiative of the Bishop of Terni, Cardinal Francesco Angelo Rapaccioli. The project includes the symbolic places of the diocese (Cathedral, Seminar and Episcopal Palace) in a monumental complex formed by a plurality of buildings from different eras (Amphitheater and Church of the Carmine). Construction took place affecting the urban fabric of medieval origin, to incorporate insulae, small pre-existing housing units dating back to Roman and late Roman times. Structures such as niches and columns were revealed during the last restoration, to accommodate the works of art collected in religious places of the diocese.

The palace, according to the wishes of Cardinal Rapaccioli, was completely independent from the rest of the Bishop's residence and from the cathedral church except for a loggia, then closed by building a gallery, which connected the seminary to the church. The palace was decorated with a series of frescoes, traces of which remain in the gallery in scenes of the Old Testament as the Sacrificio di Isaccoand the Vicissitudini del profeta Jonah.



Timetables October

Opening of
the Area
Opening of
the Water
Working days 10.00am - 6.00pm only on FRIDAY
from 12.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 4.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 10.00am - 8.00pm from 11.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 6.00pm
Holidays and Specials:
9.00am - 8.00pm from 11.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 6.00pm

Choose your guided tour

October 2018

Belvedere Inferiore
P.le F. Fatati 6

Belvedere Superiore
Voc. Cascata 30

Tel. 0744 62982
Fax 0744 362231
actl alis sistema museo civita adb