For the "Società delle Fucine" (Forging company), a subsidiary of the "Terni" company, the twelve-thousand-ton press was worth only its weight as scrap iron: one billion one hundred million lira. But for Terni it was part of the town's history, a symbol of labour, of technology, of the commitment of the whole city to its steelworks.
The press began to function in 1935 and was "pensioned off" in 1993, after almost sixty years of honourable service. A monumental machine, even on its own. Built by the Davy Brothers Ltd. and by the "Terni", it is 16 meters 89 centimeters high with a base with sides measuring nine meters 53 centimeters and four meters 12 centimeters, for a total weight of 1.751 tons. The availability of the Società delle Fucine and the Municipal of Terni, who actively campaigned, saved the press from being scrapped and melted. The Municipal of Terni, together with other local agencies and private associations assured the rights to the property.
A special board, which also included expert industrial archeologists chose the large square opposite the railway station as its location: a business card for those arriving in town. The press was restored according to necessary requirements and completely repainted. Originally grey, the cilour became green in the 1960s. Following that, the yellow side bands were added.
The work for its positioning, which was rather complicated, was performed with the help of technicians and specialist companies. The press-monument was inaugurated in 1999. That mighty machine had once been requested by the "Terni" to take the place of the "Grande maglio" (the big hammer) at one time symbol of the town's workforce, one of the largest machine of its kind in the world.