The Spada family, public Notaries by profession, became increasingly important throughout the 14th and 15th centuries. It counted members with illustrious backgrounds who had held important roles such as Chamberlain to Chief Prior and Castellan of Colleluna, reaching its height of honour with Michelangelo Spada (1521-1584). In its heyday, he began construction work on Palazzo Spada, which in his intimate, was meant to represent his power, the obstentation of the prestige he had gained in Rome, where he was the "secret servant" of Pope Julius lll who bestowed on him the fiefdoms of Forano and Collescipoli and the title of Count. On the death of Giulio lll, Paolo lV became Pope, after the short papacy of Marcello ll, what seemed perpetual went back to being temporary, indeed, Collescipoli went back to the availability of the church, above all subsequent to the fact that the inhabitants of Collescipoli rebelled. Together with the fief, the Spadas also lost the title of count which, however, was returned to them by pope Clement Xl. This is how the Spadas became Counts of Collalbero, a castle which stands near Perugia. Meanwhile, Michelangelo Spada had retired from public life.
The design of Palazzo Spada has been attributed to Antonio Sangallo the Younger. Bought and restored by the Municipal of Terni in 1973, a restoration which has completely eliminated the plaster and which has transformed into the main entrance what was, in fact, the back of the building, from which one entered into a huge fenced garden with countless trees, according to the typical landscaped garden of the 1500sthe building underwent renovation with the removal of the outside plaster with the back of the building becoming the main entrance. The main hall conserves the frescos attributed to the Flemish painter, Karel Van Mander, re-interpreted during the restoration works.
In the main halls, some of the episodes of the battle of Lepanto are depicted and the massacre of the Huguenots, which Michelangelo Spada had wanted to illustrate his political vision favourable to counterreform and rooted in a strong opposition to protestantism. Only a few of the frescos in the building date back to the original building. Other painting intetventions were carried out in the periods up to the XlX century, when palazzo Spada became the property of the Massarucci counts. In the XXth century, palazzo Spada hosted the nuns of the Bambin Gesù order and became the prerogative of the bishopric.
The entire structure is shaped like a cube, partially transformed following
restructuring in the XVlll century, with the construction of a system of arches on what was then the posterior and today the main entrance, which connected the two altanes built on the sides of the building. The arches were eventually stopped up in order to obtain extra cubage.