Things to see

Filter by Category

Montani Leoni Palace
[Historic buildings]

  • Montani Leoni Palace was built in 1584 and commissioned by Aurelio Fazioli, as detailed on the ancient architrave of the portal of the original façade in Via Ludovico Silvestri. Over the centuries, the building has undergone various modifications, some of considerable size, such as those that occurred in the second half of the nineteenth century following the opening of the "new road", Corso Cornelio Tacito. The restoration of the building in the nineteenth century led to its current appearance, with the beautiful façade by the architect Benedetto Faustini, in which you can distinguish the ashlar of the ground floor and the beautiful candelabras of the windows on the main floor, and the splendid internal halls made between 1887 and 1913. In the halls of the palace there are still some paintings dating back to the first structure, which date between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The Cassa di Risparmio di Terni acquired the Montani Leoni Palace in 1877. Since 1992 the building has been home to the Carit Foundation, which houses the Historical Archive of the Monte di Pietà and the ancient Confraternities of Terni (1275-1861) and a rich art collection of paintings and sculptures dating from the fourteenth to the twenty-first century.
    Read More

Church of San Francesco
[Religious buildings]

  • The construction of the Church was undertaken in 1265. The original building had a nave with transept, a cross-vaulted Gothic rib vault and a polygonal apse. The Church gradually expanded to become a three-nave bulding enriched with a larger Renaissance style apse and monumental side chapels. One of these chapels was erected to house a precious silver tabernacle containing a relic of the Holy Cross. The painting decorations of the Cappella Paradisi are of particular interest. They consist of a beautiful series of frescoes commissioned by Monaldo Paradisi to the painter Bartolomeo di Tommaso from Foligno on the theme of the Last Judgment. The great Altarpiecework, now housed in the Pinacoteca Comunale, was commissioned to Piermatteo d’Amelia. Luigi Lanzi had the Church declared a national monument and, when major renovations were undertaken, much of the Baroque decoration inside the Church was removed. The bell tower with mullioned and four-light windows and enriched with a polychrome ceramics stringcourse is of particular interest.
    Read More

Church of Sant'Alò
[Religious buildings]

  • The Church of Sant'Alò, originally dedicated to San Pietro, is one of the oldest and most significant religious buildings in Terni. According to an ancient tradition, the church was built on the site of a pagan temple dedicated to the Goddess Cybele. The current Saint title holder is Sant'Aloysius, also called Alò, who lived in France during the Merovingian period and was considered the patron saint of goldsmiths and silversmiths. It is a building from the Roman period, and the basilica plan has three naves, divided by arches on pilasters and columns, whose construction can be traced back to the 11thcentury. The exterior of the church is characterized by the presence of a widespread use of recovered material from the Roman era, the entrance door is flanked by two ancient lions, while many fragments are walled into the ancient bell tower, whose upper part was demolished in order to join it to the adjacent house. The interior has three naves separated by columns and pillars, in the style of the Roman period churches in southern Umbria. The central nave ends with an apse connected by a vaulted room, while the side aisles end with small niches. The interior walls are decorated with remarkable collections of medieval frescoes.
    Read More

CATHEDRAL OF SANTA MARIA ASSUNTA (DUOMO)
[Religious buildings]

  • The Cathedral of Terni is dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta and its actual appearance is the result of the reconstruction works carried out between the XVIthand XVIIthcenturies. A local tradition attributes the project to Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The original nucleus of the Church originated from the burial place of Bishop Sant'Anastasio, and its foundations can be seen from above a glass floor. At first, it was a Romanesque style basilica with three naves, of which there are very few remains, like the central portal and the walls under the porch. In mid-16thcentury a radical reconstruction of the Church was promoted in order to transform it into a basilica. Sebastiano Flori, an apprentice of Vasari’s, designed a larger three-aisle church with a large transept and dome at the intersection of the cross vault. The work lasted for over a century and ended in the mid-17thcentury, during the episcopate of Cardinal Rapaccioli, who had the elegant front porch completed. Inside, among the notable artworks we can admire the monumental organ, whose design is attributed to Bernini and the altar in polychrome marble, built in the 18thcentury on drawings by Carlo Murena, an apprentice of Vanvitelli’s.
    Read More

Church of Carmine
[Religious buildings]

  • The construction of the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine is due to the preexisting presence of an image of the Virgin Mary painted on the outer wall of the Roman Amphitheatre. Over the years, this site had become such a place of devotion for many pious people that a laical association was born in order to promote the construction of a church on the site. At first, a simple canopy to protect the image was built but the construction of a chapel followed shortly afterwards. In 1602, thanks to recognition by Pope Clement VIII, the Confraternita del Carmine was established and it was decided a proper church would be built. It took quite a long time for the construction works to be finished in 1783 with the completion of the elegant brick façade. The venerated image was detached from the wall and placed on the altar. In the 17thcentury the dome was decorated with frescoes by Ludovico Carosi, a painter from Terni, while the nave was covered with a 150 square-metre oil canvas, painted by Paolo Barla and Pietro Taloni, depicting the Madonna del Carmeloand Elia sul carro di fuoco. In the 1990s the Church went under major renovations and was converted to an auditorium.
    Read More

Church of San Salvatore
[Religious buildings]

  • The church of San Salvatore, located in the small homonymous square, is a short distance from Palazzo Spada, the Town Hall of Terni. It is one of the oldest religious buildings in Terni, certainly the most impressive, whose origins date back to the early Middle Ages. Archaeological excavations carried out in the area have brought to light the remains of a Roman domus, on which the church was built. An ancient tradition says that a temple dedicated to the Sun rose in this place, while it was thought that it could originally have been a mausoleum, or a baptistery or an oratory. Even the dating varies a lot, ranging from the 7th century to the 10th century. Some historians identify the building with the oratory of San Salvatore, which was attached to a church of St. Peter’s. Currently the building consists of several parts which is the result of subsequent enlargements. In Roman times, a short nave with two bays was added to the round room. Then in the 14th century the Chapel Manassei was built and in the 17th century the Chapel Filerna was built. It is now used as a sacristy. The very suggestive interior preserves several collections of frescoes.
    Read More

Church of San Lorenzo
[Religious buildings]

  • The Church of San Lorenzo overlooks a small square along the Corso Vecchio, the old main street of the ancient city that follows the internal route of the Via Flaminia.The Church, one of the oldest parish churches in the city, was built in the Romanesque period and in later centuries expanded, it was restored several times and partly rebuilt after heavy bombing damage during World War II.Its present appearance is the result of a deep restoration in the early decades of the 20thcentury by the architect Cesare Bazzani. These works led to the creation of two three-light windows on the façade and the restoration of the original scheme of the early Church, originating the two-level floors. The Church has a beautiful façade made of pietra sponga- the typical local porous limestone - enhanced by a XVIIthcentury marble portal decorated in racemes. The interior is very simple and cozy, characterized by the two floors levels and by a valuable XVIIthcentury painting depicting the martyrdom of San Biagio. On the altar on the right there is the statue of the Addoloratathat is walked in procession on Good Friday.
    Read More

Church of San Pietro
[Religious buildings]

  • Originally in this area there was a small Roman era church dedicated to St. Peter. The construction of the new church began in the 14th century. It only ended in 1452 with the construction of the great apsidal tribune, when Stefano Manassei greatly contributed because of his wish to be buried in the church. Today, the funeral tomb is preserved in the right wall of the presbytery. The building was badly damaged by the earthquake of 1703 thus requiring a radical restoration. The interior was renovated in a Baroque style. Post-war restorations sought to recover medieval forms. When the 18th century stuccowork was demolished, numerous collections of frescoes from the 14th and 15th centuries came to light. The large gabled façade is adorned with a beautiful portal with columns surmounted by a triangular tympanum where a precious bas-relief depicting the blessing Christ is embedded. The interior with a single nave looks like a large bare and austere room, and it is completed by a large polygonal apse in Gothic style. Along the walls you can admire some collections of frescoes. The monumental bell tower is very elegant. It is characterized by a double order, the lower one with mullioned windows from the Middle Ages and the upper one with arcades built in the 18th century.
    Read More

Church of San Cristoforo
[Religious buildings]

  • The Church of San Cristoforo, is in an area of the historical centre of Terni deeply transformed by the postwar reconstruction. It is a small single-nave Romanesque style building with a gable roof, in the style of the medieval religious buildings of Valnerina. Its historical importance is linked to the passage of San Francesco d’Assisi. On the right side of the Church there is a boulder, topped by a statue of San Francesco, which is told to have been used during his sermons. The large amount of recycled materials, used in the construction of the Church, suggests that it has been built on the remains of Roman structures. The Church was refurbished in the 18th century but heavily damaged by the bombing during World War II. At the end of the war it was restored regaining its austere and simple Romanesque style appearance. Many fragments of series of frescoes of devotional character, dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries are still visible on the walls inside the Church. This is the first church to be built in Terni after the liturgical reform of the Vatican Council II.
    Read More

Basilica of San Valentino
[Religious buildings]

  • The Basilica of San Valentino is located about two kilometres from the centre of Terni, on the site of an ancient Christian cemetery. Thiscemetery isone of the most important examples of early Christian necropolis in Umbria. It is dedicated to the patron saint of the city and to lovers. It was built on the burial site of the martyr, who had been beheaded in Rome along the Via Flaminia and brought back to Terni by his disciples. A sacellum was built on his tomb, and it was later transformed into an early Christian basilica with five naves. The classical façade was completed only in 1854. The single-nave interior is of a sober Baroque style, adorned with stuccos and it has a vaulted ceiling. The altars contain large 17th century paintings, of greater importance are those of the Flemish painter Lucas de la Haye, the Cavalier d'Arpino and Luca Polidori. Under the high altar is a crystal coffin containing the reliquary statue of San Valentino. The crypt is interesting, for it is the original nucleus of the church. A small lapidarium containing many ancient fragments deriving from several past excavations carried out in the area has been set up in a nearby room. Next to the church there is a large structure which is the old convent.
    Read More
bannerPopup

Timetables October

Opening of
the Area
Opening of
the Water
Working days 10.00am - 6.00pm only on FRIDAY
from 12.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 4.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 10.00am - 8.00pm from 11.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 6.00pm
Holidays and Specials:
4/10
9.00am - 8.00pm from 11.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 6.00pm

Choose your guided tour

October 2018
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19

Belvedere Inferiore
P.le F. Fatati 6
Terni

Belvedere Superiore
Voc. Cascata 30
Terni

Tel. 0744 62982
Fax 0744 362231
actl alis sistema museo civita adb