Things to see

Filter by Category

Videocentre
[Sites of cultural interest]

  • The restoration and reuse of the sheds of an engineering company led to the realization of the Terni Videocentre. The factory in question was the "Bosco" company, the second most important plant in Terni after the "Terni", located close to Porta Spoletina, adjacent to the medieval city walls. Antonio Bosco, founder if the company, started up his business as blacksmith and manufacturer of agricultural equipment in an old farmhouse at the beginning of the last century. The factory grew rapidly and in 1924 sheds were built that could adequately contain the increasing productive activity which ranged from boilers to the realization of plants for industries. An expansion tha included crossing over the old Flaminia road, which, leaving the city, continued up towards the Somma. It was an interesting area for the presence of historical findings, even though these were no longer available: there, according to ancient chronicles, there once stood a large arch of triumph; in the same place there had been some ancient churches and, more importantly for history lovers, the Three Monuments are said to have stood, namely the cenotaph dedicated to the memory of the Tacitos, the historian Cornelio and his descendents Annio Floriano and Marco Claudio, roman emperors. A factory, the Bosco, which had always struggled with the space at its disposition, until it decided to build a new factory outside the city centre. When, around 1980, the factory was relocated to the Terni-Narni industrial zone, the decision was made to acquire and restore the main buildings so as to make them available to the community for cultural activities retaking and restoring the oldest and most significant part of the factory and promoting in the retaking plan, the approach between the architecture of the early 1900s and postmodern elements. The Videocentre was therefore born as part of a multimedia production system which included the multimedia library and the Papigno film studios. Several television fiction series have been shot in the sheds of the ex Bosco and the triple Oscar award-winning Roberto Benigni film "La vita e' bella" was made there.
    Read More

Palazzo Primavera (Spring Building)
[Sites of cultural interest]

  • Today it goes by the name of Palazzo Primavera (Spring Building) and it appears to be a recent construction. Instead, it happens to be a building project carried out on a a complex originally dating back to the 16th century which was realised after the demolition of the pre-existing oratory of the Suffragio used by the confraternity of the same name which hosted the "merchants". In 1548, the confraternity wanted to build a church dedicated to Santa Lucia, protector of merchants, that is to say the farmers and traders who operated in public fairs, on the site of the Oratory. From the start, the church of Santa Lucia experienced complex events as it was often chosen as sleeping quarters for the invading troops passing through on their way to Rome, and the object of enormous damage every time. In 1620 it was assigned to the Jesuits who used the complex as a boarding school or school. It remained a school for centuries, first with the Jesuits, and then as the city grammar school, technical school, and evening school. An event, the opening of the school run by the associates of the Compagnia di Gesù, which satisfied an old aspiration of the city of Terni. Already fifty years before the lettered Orazio Nucola from Terni, who lived in Rome, had interpreted this and had the opportunity, it seems, to talk about it with the founder of the company, Ignazio di Loyola. But it was necessary to sit and wait -replied Loyola- until the Company had a satisfactory number of members. In 1620 the Jesuits finally agreed and also thanks to a fair offer made by the Municipal together with the Monte di Pieta' and to the Confraternity of San Nicandro: three hundred scudi in addition to the wages due to the school teachers, plus the possibility of renting out the rooms of the college, which should have rendered another five hundred scudi. In 1624, therefore, after effectuating the necessary adaptation work, the college of Santa Lucia began to function regularly. Years after the birth of the Regno d'Italia, (the Kingdom of Italy) relocated high school and college, the building hosted the Terni lawcourtsthat remained there from the 1920s for about forty years. Part of the building was occupied by the provincial administrative offices that turned it into the "Palazzo della Sanita'" (Public Health Office) Left in a state of abandonment, during the 1970s and 1980s, it was occupied several times by young people who claimed it as venue for cultural and social purposes, raising a banner on the facade which summarised all their propositions and hopes and renaming it "Palazzo Primavera", a name officially assigned to it when, through a recent public and private building project, a part of the building became the property of the Municipal, which destined it as venue for conferences, meetings and exhibitions.
    Read More

"Aurelio De Felice" modern and contemporary art museum (at CAOS)
[Sites of cultural interest]

  • The Museum arises from the fusion of Pinacoteca Comunale Collection, previously located at Palazzo Gazzoli, and a new area dedicated to contemporary art. Dedicated to Aurelio De Felice, artist and art collector, the museum includes a big number of donations made on 1986 by the artist to Terni town hall, which includes artworks by Orneore Metelli and by internationally famous artists who De Felice met during is life in Paris. The ancient gallery includes artworks from the 14th Century. The most precious are Maestro della Dormitio Virginis, Benozzo Gozzoli’s small artwork and Piermatteo D’Amelia’s polyptych, the most relevant artwork of the whole ancient section. The Graphics Collection includes about 250 artworks signed by the main characters of the European 1900: Chagall, Kandinsky, Mirò, Braque, Léger, Picasso and many more. Contemporary section narrates about the second post-war period, including Giulio Turcato’s and Gino Severini artworks, the eclectic productions from the 1970s and the 1980s and Agabito Miniucchi’s sculptures, the post-modern experimentations and the young emerging or already known nationally and internationally artists, connected to the territorial environment.
    Read More

Archeological museum (at CAOS)
[Sites of cultural interest]

  • The archaeological exhibition is divided into two different sections, pre-Roman and Roman, which tell the story of what will become in the Roman period the center of Interamna Nahars, the current city of Terni. The first section, the pre-Roman one, is of particular importance, as it shows a selection of the precious funerary objects from the three great necropolises currently known, Acciaierie, which was the largest, then followed by San Pietro in Campo and Alterocca, the latter excavated in 2000. The first was mainly used between the X. and VIII. century. BC, with presences even of the VI. century, while the other two returned items dating from the VII. and VI. centuries. BC. Finally to complete the picture, they are then a series of objects come to light during the excavation work in the areas of Piazza Clai and in the basement of some historic buildings, from the sites of Maratta Bassa and Monte Torre Maggiore. The Roman section is composed of an interesting series of inscriptions, funerary and honorary stones, marble sarcophagi and statuary, which allow us to investigate numerous aspects of what must have been one of the main Umbrian towns of the Roman era.
    Read More

Secca theatre (at CAOS)
[Sites of cultural interest]

  • One of the workshops of the ex - Siri factory was destined to become the theatre (at CAOS - Centro Arti Opificio Siri). Due also to the legislative complexity of the recovery of a disused industrial area, which foresaw the assignment of part of the area to a private company for the realisation of a shopping centre, that shed had been excluded. It was one if the outbuildings of the shopping centre, but no plans had been drawn up for its reuse. Also because if its position, at the end of the area, towards via Giandimartolo da Vitalone and perpendicular to the long strip built along the same road, which had once housed the apartments of the company managers, then included as residential area in the recovery project and subsequently, following a revision of the same project, as a formative and museum area. This is why that shed was the last tranche of the recovery intervention and reuse of the exSiri. The abundance of space led to the idea of reuse which was actuated through the realisation of an experimental- type theatre. This is how the the present -day theatre Secci was born. The work was begun and completed in 2010 and when it was inaugurated, it was dedicated to the memory of Sergio Secci, a young native of Terni, passionate about theatre, who was killed during the massacre at Bologna station on the 2nd of August 1980, he was 24 years old. He had graduated from Dams in Bologna and that morning had gone to the station to catch a train to Treviglio for an appointment with a theatre group with whom he was going to collaborate for a series of shows. The city of Terni wanted to perpetuate his memory by dedicating to him the new theatre of the Siri complex in a structure that fuses working-class culture ( from which Sergio Secci originated) with all- round art. In a structure belonging to the heritage of industrial archeology state-of-the-art technology can be found. It seats three hundred.
    Read More

PALEOLAB - MUSEUM OFT THE PALEONTOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS OF SOUTHERN UMBRIA (ex CHURCH OF SAN TOMMASO)
[Sites of cultural interest]

  • Umbria, its geological transformations and the animals that populated the territory up to 300 thousand years ago are at the center of the Paleolab museum itinerary. Since 2002, the former church of San Tommaso has housed the first museum of the paleontological collections of southern Umbria: designed especially for children but extremely interesting for adults, the exhibition, completely renovated in 2012, shows what are the phenomena that transform the Earth and allows you closely to observe the fossils of animals lived in our area. If the ammonites swam in the sea that covered Umbria until the time of their extinction, which occurred 65 million years ago, enough space is left to the fossils of the animals that, later, populated the Tiberine Basin: within the most important pieces, the complete skeleton of an Axis nestii, found in anatomical connection, namely fossilized in the same position in which the animal died. The church of San Tommaso was the patriarchal possession of San Giovanni in Laterano. At the time of free townships it was also the location of the town council meetings. The space existing between the churches of San Tommaso and San Cristoforo was called Camporeale because it belonged to the Camporeale family who arrived in Terni following Federico Barbarossa.
    Read More

DIOCESAN MUSEUM
[Sites of cultural interest]

  • The Diocesan and Capitular Museum of Terni is housed in the Palazzo del Seminario Interamnense, adjacent to the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, and was built in 1653 on the initiative of the Bishop of Terni, Cardinal Francesco Angelo Rapaccioli. The project includes the symbolic places of the diocese (Cathedral, Seminar and Episcopal Palace) in a monumental complex formed by a plurality of buildings from different eras (Amphitheater and Church of the Carmine). Construction took place affecting the urban fabric of medieval origin, to incorporate insulae, small pre-existing housing units dating back to Roman and late Roman times. Structures such as niches and columns were revealed during the last restoration, to accommodate the works of art collected in religious places of the diocese. The palace, according to the wishes of Cardinal Rapaccioli, was completely independent from the rest of the Bishop's residence and from the cathedral church except for a loggia, then closed by building a gallery, which connected the seminary to the church. The palace was decorated with a series of frescoes, traces of which remain in the gallery in scenes of the Old Testament as the Sacrificio di Isaccoand the Vicissitudini del profeta Jonah.
    Read More

Verdi theatre
[Historic buildings]

  • The Public Theatre, "architected -wrote the historian Luigi Lanzi in a guide to the city in 1899- by cavalier Luigi Poletti in 1840, conceived when the city had fewer than ten thousand inhabitants, and become much too narrow for a population that has more than tripled". The theatre, named after Giuseppe Verdi, is once again waiting for restoration work to finish and to adapt to new rules and requirements. Precisely in 1840, in fact, was the first stone laid of Terni's public theatre, "in the presence of the distinguished Pontifical Architect of the sacred Apostolic Palaces, Luigi Poletti", whose project was preferred by the Municipal over that of Luigi Santini, from Perugia. The work was finished in 8 years, and so, in August 1849, the theatre was inaugurated with the performance of the melodrama "Saffo". Its name was not yet teatro Verdi, obviously, given that the musician was still very much alive and at the peak of his activities. The new theatre was born on far more ancient foundation of the old Palazzo dei Priori, which then became the location of the "public bakery". In the middle of the nineteenth century the instability of the foundations led to its demolition and the construction of a new building which became a theatre awarding the project to an expert such as Luigi Poletti, who realised one of his best works, with a large external staircase, and an inside decorated with stucco and paintings. The Terni public theatre was one of the first to use electric lighting (it was 1888) produced by the Cassian Bon Valnerina Electric company, and to have an adjoining building which held changing rooms. In 1908 the electrical plant had to be made safer, and more modern, and so at the same time the stage was enlargened. The naming of the theatre after Giuseppe Verdi, who had died seven years before, dates back to then and gave rise to a second inauguration , this time with "Othello. The changing requirements resulted in a series of works and plant remakes, the last of which - the most invasive that completely cancelled the original work by Poletti except for the facade- came as a consequence of the destruction caused by the bombing during the second world war. It was rebuilt in accordance more with the requirements of a cinema than a theatre, until, in recent years, it was shut down waiting for a new, essential restoration which, so far, has involved only the facade.
    Read More

Marmore Falls
[Sites of touristic interest]

  • The Marmore Waterfall is formed by the fall of the river Velino in the river Nera that flows below, with a jump of 165 meters. It is not a natural phenomenon but a work of human ingenuity realized, according to tradition, in the III century BC, 271 BC, from the Roman consul M. Curio Dentato that to reclaim the Rieti plain from the marshes of the Velini lakes, through an artificial canal then called Cava Curiana. Between the I century BC and I century AD other regulating and embedding works recalled by Cicero and Tacitus were carried out. The waterfall remained in use until the 11th century, when the Curiano canal was obstructed and the ancient marshes were reformed in the plain of Rieti. A new reclamation phase begins: called "reclamations of the Renaissance". Starting from the 15th century and until the end of the 18th century many were the interventions made by the most famous architects of the time including Fioravante Fioravanti in 1417-22, Antonio Sangallo the Younger in 1545, Giovanni Fontana in 1598 -1601 and Andrea Vici in 1787-1793. The Grand Tour stop-over between the 17th and 19th centuries was visited, described and reproduced by the greatest artists of the time. Since the end of the 19th century it has been used for energy purposes to feed several hydroelectric plants and since the 30s it is part of the great hydroelectric system of the Galleto plant.
    Read More

Piediluco lake
[Sites of touristic interest]

  • The lake (368 m asl), of natural origin, has a surface of 1.6 square kilometers, a perimeter of about 15 km and a maximum depth of 19 m. The main natural tributary is the Fuscello trench coming from the mountains of Leonessa (RI). Theartificial tributaries linked to the hydroelectric exploitation are: the canal that connects it to the Velino river and the Middle Nera canal (42 km long) that feeds the Nera river into the lake. The lake and the territory of Piediluco are involved by two sites of the European Natura 2000 network. This is what remains (together with the lakes of Rieti) of the ancient Lacus Velinus, a marshy area reclaimed from the III century BC. with the creation of the Curiano canal (Cascata delle Marmore). Its current name recalls the town of Piediluco that overlooks the lake, located at the foot of Monte della Rocca (542 m asl) where stands the fortress Albornoziana erected in 1364 on the site of the ancient castle of Luco (XI century). The name literally means "at the foot of lucus" (from lucus = sacred forest). The lake was an important way of communication that connected roads and places through its ports. One of the Grand Tour stop-over was represented by the 18th and 19th century landscape painters including Camille Corot. It is crossed by the "via di Francesco", where a church was erected in the ancient port of the village in memory of the saint's visits in the 14th century. Today the main activities are related to tourism and water sports.
    Read More
bannerPopup

Timetables October

Opening of
the Area
Opening of
the Water
Working days 10.00am - 6.00pm only on FRIDAY
from 12.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 4.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 10.00am - 8.00pm from 11.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 6.00pm
Holidays and Specials:
4/10
9.00am - 8.00pm from 11.00am to 1.00pm
from 3.00pm to 6.00pm

Choose your guided tour

October 2018
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14

Belvedere Inferiore
P.le F. Fatati 6
Terni

Belvedere Superiore
Voc. Cascata 30
Terni

Tel. 0744 62982
Fax 0744 362231
actl alis sistema museo civita adb